Saturday, November 1, 2008

We have a roof!

It's that feeling you get when suddenly you realise your baby's not a baby any more.

I hadn't visited the site for two days and as I drove toward it I was momentarily unsure if I was looking at the right place. The house has matured, become one with the streetscape. No longer a plan or an outline, now, quite literally, we have a roof over our heads.

















It was hot outside today - almost 31 deg (4 above average) - and the shelter made a huge difference, especially to the lone carpenter who was working away his Saturday straightening the frame ready for inspection next week.

I notice the windows more now, and I'm pleased that I pushed to have them all upsized.

I've already claimed my favourite corner of the lounge, in the cross-breeze between two windows and with a spectacular view of the "pool".

I had been hoping to catch the roof tilers at work. It's been very interesting observing the process so far, and knowing how heavy a single roof tile is, I was pretty keen to see how deftly the job was done. Luckily I did manage to catch some of the action on the house next door. Well, at least that solves the mystery of how they get all those tiles up there in the first place...

No comments: