Saturday, November 29, 2008

Pool fence problem

After taking on the neighbour's builder about the boundary fence, my attention has turned to something else that has been puzzling me for a while.

How do they intend to fence the pool?
















There is currently a temporary fence, but when this goes they will be using the boundary fence as part of the pool fence.

The problem is that the boundary fence butts up against a 3.5 metre high rock retaining wall that runs through both our back yards. I have read the pool fence regulations about ensuring there is a clear span of 1200mm (measured at all angles) from the top of the fence to any climbable structure. This fence is right next to a climbable structure!

First I contacted council, who put me onto the private pool certifiers, who pleaded ignorance about the height of the rock wall. I then had a meeting onsite with the pool builder who states that they will be using a type of chicken wire on the rocks on their side of the fence and has suggested I might like to do the same (no, thank you).

They then suggested that if I chose not to I may be assuming responsibility for any accidents. But my argument is that it's not like I built a garden shed right next to their pool fence. This rock wall is a permanent structure that was there before either block was titled and long before the pool was planned. Shouldn't the owner of the pool have to get compliance right from the outset, rather than rely on me to guard the weak point?

It was next suggested that a barbed wire fence be installed on top of the 1.8m boundary fence. Hmmm, I wonder if that was a proposal or a threat? A final suggestion was for a perspex screen above the fence. Not sure how high that would have to go or how it would be affixed!

Once again I'm left thinking that not enough planning has gone into this and that those responsible hope I'll just shrug my shoulders and let it slide.

By the way, I have spoken to the owners, who are interstate, and they weren't even aware they were getting "chicken wire".

No comments: