Thursday, November 6, 2008

Doors, windows and baths

Doors and windows arrived this week and I have to say I just LOVE the double hungs. Slide 'em up, slide 'em down...they offer so much flexibility and open air flow.

I have some reservations about the large windows in the kids' rooms, though. Originally they were drafted in as 1.8m wide x 1.5m deep, but I had them upsized to 1.8m deep. I think this will provide good light and a sense of openness, and the kids will be able to look out to greenery and their own choice of outdoor art. The problem is that I didn't have a clear picture in my head of how they would look, and now I see that the actual openings are only a fraction of the total window space. Whereas the double hungs and other sliders will open up 50% of the area, the extra depth on these windows is fixed, so only half of the top section, or around one-third of the total window space, will open. Not only that, but because of the high ceilings the opening mechanisms will be a bit high for the kids. Given the opportunity to do it again, I think I would also change the direction of the openings to increase the air flow.

The colour of the frames was something I struggled with, but I'm pleased with the result. The obvious choice was white, to go with the white walls inside and out. However, I had trouble visualising a good result in combination with the security screens, which would have had white frames with black grilles. In the end, I adopted a compromise of silver grey, which I think will work well with other finishes, such as the brushed chrome light switches, aluminium kickboards and kitchen pendants, as well as the overall grey/white theme.












The other major development this week is the installation of the baths, which were also upsized and look good.

No comments: