Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Raising the stakes with the pool fence

So the neighbours have won the first round - and raised me one!

I am now gobsmacked by their solution to the pool fence problem. After seeing what was done with the boundary fence I started asking questions about how they planned to do their pool fence, given that they had sited it too close to the rock wall and boundary to be able to build a standard pool fence inside. I was particularly concerned about the possibility of children climbing over the rock wall. See "Pool Fence Problem" (Nov 29) below.

Now I find, again without the least consultation, they have extended the fence across the back and this is what I have to live with. Can they really raise the fence this high without planning permission, or consultation?

The view from the back yard













The view from the back bedroom










I think I have discovered an anomaly in the system whereby all the planning for such things is left up to the pool digger.

Council has no jurisdiction on pool fences at this stage - it is up to private certifiers, who in this case claim that despite having a plan submitted to them they "didn't know the rock wall was that high". They say they will not inspect until the fence is complete and the pool builder requests certification.

The pool builder, on the other hand, Mr "she'll be right lovey" clearly had no idea how to deal with the situation when I met him onsite.

I will definitely be contacting the council about the amenity issues after New Year.

No comments: