Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Outmanoeuvred on the fence!

After further discussions it has been confirmed that the fence is definitely not in the right place, but that it is not quite as far into my property as first believed.

Instead of the fence being evenly placed over the boundary it is 70mm too far into my property at the rear (where space is at a premium) and 70mm too far into the neighbour's property at the front (where I don't need more space). The only explanation I have been given is that the fencer was having a "bad day" and that when he dropped the plumb line from the peg at the top of the rock retaining wall, he made an error. No explanation was offered for how he got it wrong at the opposite end. So now we have a skewed fence that "just touches" boundary at either end. Incompetence, in my view, but without the neighbours' support in having it rectified there is little I can do. I could issue a "Notice to Remove", which would be referred to the Building Services Authority, which would take months to investigate, during which time I wouldn't be able to get on with my landscaping, and the advice I have been given is that the BSA would likely not order the fence's removal, given that it does touch the boundary at both ends and is therefore within accepted tolerances for error.

Checkmate :(

No comments: