Saturday, September 27, 2008

Why Morgan Street?

We are building in an area of North Lakes called "The Outlook". Many of the street names around here appear to be surnames...Forrestal, Rawlins, Carmody, and Morgan. But surnames of whom? Politics? Pioneers? Nothing springs to mind.

Therefore, I went on a hunt to find out. Could it be the likes of Elaine Forrestal, Donna Rawlins, Isobelle Carmody, Robin Klein, Sonia Hartnett, Libby Gleeson, James Moloney, Alison Lester and Allan Baillie? Yes, the pattern was revealed, and the developer has confirmed it...the streets around here are named after Australian children's authors!

Our own street is named after Sally Morgan, a Perth artist and writer who, after discovering as a teenager that she was of Aboriginal descent, wrote a book about her quest for identity called My Place Her children's books include The Flying Emu and other Australian Stories She is a Professor at the School of Indigenous Studies at the University of Western Australia.

According to part of an interview published on abc.net.au Sallys advice to children is: "Follow your dreams, even if other people think that your dream is silly or they think that you haven't got the ability to achieve it, just don't listen to the negative stuff , you know you've got to follow your dreams because if you have enough determination you will get there, you will get there eventually - just don't let other people put you off."

1 comment:

Tric said...

Well researched, Jeanete.

How lovely to live in a street named after such an inspirational lady. Sally Morgan is a person I admire and hold in high esteem.

My sister gave me "My Place" as a present Xmas 1987. What a poignant story! It really affected me - caused me to take a good hard look at the way 'white Australians' treated out indigenous cousins (and left me feeling not very proud of my heritage!)

I believe Aboriginal Australians hold the Spirit of our beautiful country. Living in a place named after Sally Morgan can only strengthen your connection to the soul of Australia.